Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Hungry Gags

I have been eating VERY differently than my non-pregnant self! I wouldn't exactly call this a food adventure, since it hasn't all been that exciting, but it has been interesting for sure! 

The 1st week I had the worst low blood sugar episodes EVER! I seriously felt like I was going to pass out; more so than I've ever felt. Then about the 2nd week, I had the BIGGEST appetite I've ever had...I was eating every hour and a half!! Or sooner! Moving into the 3rd/4th week, I started becoming pickier. The blander and carb-ier the food the better. I was all about the saltines, mashed potatoes, fries, pasta. Protein and veggies did NOT appeal whatsoever (they still don't, really). I wasn't really craving anything; it was hard to figure out what sounded good (still having that problem, too) so when I thought of something, I went for it and had to have it. For instance, one night I could not for the life of me think of what I could eat, then developed a taste for this hemp granola cereal with freshly sliced strawberries. Of course it wasn't stocked on our shelves, so I trekked down to Fred Meyer at about 8 p.m. I haven't been able to eat it since.

That is one of the strangest occurrences so far--I'll have something, even if it's just once, and I'll be done with it...like the hemp cereal, tofu dogs or a meatball sub from Subway (I NEVER eat those)--all things I could only tolerate once, and I wouldn't be surprised if I steered clear of them the remainder of the pregnancy. 

I'm eating way too many comfort foods--pizza, burgers, fries, pasta and cheese. Not EVERY day, but way more often than I ever do. Oy. Sorry baby :( I need to get on track! I went to Trader Joe's today and stocked up on baby carrots, cauliflower, salad greens, sweet potatoes. I got Morningstar veggie burgers, veggie corn dogs. So at least I'm trying harder! 

So, luckily I haven't experienced any morning sickness, just gagging. And gagging can happen any time of day. But I've detected some gagging patterns in recent weeks. Right when I get up in the morning. Before breakfast. After breakfast. Strong smells (the following are all at work)--the kitchen during lunch, the bathroom, the paint in the hallway, the exhaust in the parking garage. Aside from the smells and aversions to unappetizing foods, I've come to realize the gagging signals hunger. I don't really feel hunger pangs anymore, I just gag. So when I gag, it's like "Baby's Gotta EAT!" 

OK, enough of that, I'm probably making you all gag now! Unless I have a reflective pregnancy moment, the next time I write will more than likely be after we find out the sex. FIVE weeks to go! 

No comments: